IRON – AN ALL-IMPORTANT MINERAL
Iron is an essential mineral that has many functions in the body. As part of the haemoglobin protein in red blood cells, its main role lies in the transport of oxygen from the lungs to other tissues. Iron is important for every cell in the body; it supports the immune system, helps to convert food into energy, supports muscle function, and promotes maternal tissue growth during pregnancy. Therefore, an adequate amount of iron intake is crucial for good health, and a deficiency (anemia) can have serious side effects- including fatigue, yellowing of the skin, muscle pain and respiratory problems. People that have an increased risk of iron deficiency include women (as they lose blood through menstruation), blood donors, vegetarians and vegans. All of the latter can benefit from an iron supplement. However, an iron overdose is harmful as iron cannot be excreted from the body. So it is important to choose a carefully dosed, high-quality iron supplement.
NATURAL, ORGANIC & OPTIMALLY DOSED
Instead of an animal-derived source or a synthetic form of iron, we use organic curry leaf powder that comes from controlled organic cultivation in India. Due to the presence of other phytonutrients in the curry leaves including numerous bioflavonoids, the iron in our product has been found to have higher bioavailability compared to isolated, synthetic forms or iron from animal sources; meaning it can easily be absorbed, stored and utilized by the body.
As iron is found in a lot of food sources, it is not necessary to take an iron supplement with a very high dose. Taking high doses of iron may actually lead to constipation and nausea, and it can increase the risk of iron poisoning. That’s why we have opted for the recommended dosage (14 mg = 100% NRV) which helps to minimise stomach irritation while still providing sufficient amounts of iron on a daily basis.
IRON: THE ALL-ROUNDER MINERAL
- contributes to normal functioning of red blood cells
- contributes to the normal function of the immune system
- contributes to maternal tissue growth during pregnancy
- has a role in the process of cell division
- contributes to normal oxygen transport in the body
- contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue
- contributes to normal energy-yielding metabolism
- Take 1 capsule per day, before going to sleep
- Best to take with a glass of orange juice or vitamin C rich food (e.g berries, broccoli...) --> iron uptake enhancers
- Avoid taking it with: coffee, tea, milk, soy and wine --> iron uptake inhibitors